Learning to Unlearn

 



    After  a busy workday evening, the messy dining tables and the creased morning newspaper raised my eyebrows made my lips to go with an inverted "U". My niece raising her brows when I stared at her. We exchanged gazes and that was sufficient for us to understand each other. 
        Breaking the silence, I mentioned to my niece, "Unorganized Things disturb me", in a sad tone. She bursts out laughing and calmly mentioned, "You have the time now ! Organize it, this is such a small thing and you were busy working in the morning. It is okay if nobody cared for placing it right"
       Over a period of time lot of expectations cannot be the same. A lot of old habits die hard and yet new adaptions also need to be welcomed.

    It is good to be disciplined, punctual and organized but I also learnt that a small mismatch on those expectations was leading to a lot of frustration within me and unnecessary tension with my loved ones. For example, it could be that a requested work is done without any followups when some one had committed to it, striking the timing balance with meetings and household chores, having desires to do those baby steps for pursuing a giant dream, and there is an endless list; all this cannot be pursued in a single day. Someday, it can also happen that nothing goes as one desired for. I also realized this agony of mental frustration was in my control and I learnt that it is "OK to be not OK sometimes", "NOT everyone wishes to be late", "Plans are good but they can be dynamic sometimes" and list goes on and on. The best realization for me was to " BE GRATEFUL FOR WHAT I HAVE" than complain of what can be going beyond or reaching perfection stage.

   At the work front, there are challenges, peer-pressure,self expectations and fear of getting stagnant. Fortunately, the habit from my school days and support from teachers & family implanting the culture to have an inquisitive mind for things around has assisted to overcome these. 

    Over the years, as we grow it is important to learn new life skills, unlearn old conventional traditional methods and relearn sometimes as time progresses. 

    Trust me this it is not easy to unlearn and adapt with rare unusual happenings around at an accelerated rate . Still, it is a long way to go at the same time it is not impossible. Children around are the best teachers ; for the fact that they are filled with innocence and a very sharp weapon of an unbiased mindeset.

How has been your journey to learn, unlearn and relearn???



Comments

Post a Comment