Women in Top Management - A Glimpse [BookReview]

Writing a book review after years. A story behind the book which I think I will write in another post as how networking friendly #linkedin platform is.

This book gave me an opportunity to know the world of women in top management across the globe. As a student pursuing #psychology, I really can understand the process , effort and time that the author has spent her valuable 5 years in an authentic piece of work and I would appreciate it more than before. The insights in the book are in different forms as verbatim from research participants , giving an overview on impact of history, the societal influence and the attitude /approach women have towards their roles and daily work is well described. The description is so deep and real that it makes it so relatable to a great extent from my Indian culture eyes; though the study is from China, Russia, Germany, Japan and France. The #managementroles , the #leadershipstyle and how valuable is #mentoring even as you grow is something can be a take away from the book as stories from different women across the globe. The book has been organized well in chapters for every country and the best part is it has been even summarized at the end. For the women who are pursuing management roles, aspiring to be women leaders, the book has stories to inspire, history with facts and tips for you to grow and get inspired, this book is worth picking up.

The fact is that book gives you the reality check which tells you both sides of the coin and it makes it easier to realize and accept that challenges exist as you grow and how can you overcome them is where you need to think about. I had my moments where I think I am an inspiration and I am not shying away from this thought rather celebrating what I have and inspired to grow more. That is what I felt as I read the book. I had my moments that I experienced failing but the resilience I showed and learnt from my peers, mentors and family members is what I also additionally value.

The book also throws light on the secrets which every women has used as an asset to grow in her career path. With thoughts like being guilt free, thinking to get noticed and get heard and acknowledge about the work that adds value are on one end and challenges on other end like the glass ceilings, gender gaps, dominance of male on top positions and overcoming them on the other end, is a complete package to explore.

Last but not the least, I must say that I am proud to receive this copy from the author herself Dr. Bettina Al-Sadik-Lowinski, MCC and probably the first in India to read this. This is in fact a privilege for me and I am really grateful for this opportunity and I will cherish this moment.


PS: A co-incidence, when the book arrived at my end, the bookmark in the picture which is handcrafted from my pen-pal for me, is also a women at a different part of the globe :). (For ones curious about this story, feel free to drop in a message)

Comments