Julley Leh Ladakh

" Don't travel to this place now , my dear ! ", the concerned caring dad said this ! Back in 2016 I know dad was fully comfortable to let me travel alone if he knew the place had someone he knew. 

" Ladakh " , "Leh" , proper Nouns like these had an improper effect on mention of solo trips in Indian context. To some extent I do agree after I travelled there but not in the Indian context in general ! 

2023, after schedules. Reschedules and cancellation something was in place finally 5 days before the travel date! 

 Moments before the landing I was packed between the old couple of Leh Ladakh. I asked them if they wanted to sit together and they smiled in a shy way and said they were comfortable as they were seated. Similar to the stature of grandmother , she was having the 108 type of big brown beads in her hand praying continuously.  

On the left was still a view to get the glimpse of the top view , and in the entire descent as I saw the flight landing at the Leh Airport runway I had goosebumps. The spectacular view of just mountains beautifully dressed with snow and patches of brown 🀎 made me skip a beat. It felt like scripting a story amidst the mountains.

A small cosy airport with the the hustle and bustle of locals and tourists as I made my way to collect the baggage and dancing carrier, I had someone with my name board waiting outside at the airport . Helping me with my luggage was such a relief after a tiring journey and making me feel less guilty as he said my luggage was light to carry. I don't know why but this feeling of someone just being there to recieve and drop you when you travel is very comforting ! I think dad and mom gave me this comfort , may be sometimes I was annoyed with his calls but I miss them the most , his everyday checking on me , thoughts crossed and I moved in the Omni type of taxi.

Day 1 : Adventure has begun 
   Accustoming to the weather is the most crucial thing ! Headache and tiredness welcome on day 1. The guide and the hotel staff checked on our health , advised us not to take bath on 1st day ( well one would spend not taking bath at all for the weather that prevailed and save water 🌊 ;)) I was told your adventure has begun because oxygen is already low :) I made acquaintances with 4 other people who were my travel buddies for next 6 days :)
Eat sleep and Rest and just drink water , the warm water  ! 

Day 2 : Leh and around 
    The group of 5 including me were ready by 8.30 to do the local sight seeing. Day was dedicated the monastry where the monks were chanting prayers, seeing a temple inside a monastery. SECMOL e school has my heart. The model of the school to give space to build independence in the students who failed their 10 to 12 and help them bring back their lost confidence. The school has quite a good atmosphere with mathematic formulas written on solar panel ! Carrying a stone painted by kids and lots of postcards was a memory  lose to my heart ! The next favourite part was the confluence of rivers of  Zanskar and Indus -  Sangam ! Clean water and a point where rafting can be done ! My rafting was just a boating experience but with rapids this is a place good suggestion for rafting at highest point :) 
The langar in Gurdwara was the lunch  and then the day filled with patriotic feelings and the thrilling stories from the army men at the Hall of Fame . The narration of story from the army men touches your heart and I can only be more grateful and respect increasing exponentially to the army who safeguards us unconditionally at the cost of their own lives  ! Leh palace with the 10 storey they mention and watching your head was important . The Tibetan architecture with carvings on the doors and frames did catch the attention ! 
Ending day 2 with a cafe in the leh main market. The lady who wore a smile and kept knitting a wollen band, looked with eyes filled with hope and I bought that with a blink of second paying her what she asked for. Her caressed eyes and weary hands yet that smile she had in her old age , that is life at some point of time ! 
DAY 3 : Motroable Pass to Valley 
     
Khardungla they say is the 2nd highest motorable pass ! It's breathtaking beauty can be seen when peaks are strong mamoths in the narrow pathway, the driver Tashi bhaiya traverse through the curves in a gentle manner with his brand new car , one can only be flabbergasted with the beauty . The chilness in the weather had a melancholic effect on me and at the same time the heart that craves to travel felt content ! 
Camphors was handed to me by my travel buddies and as I got down at the photo point , I must say my head felt dizzy but I tried to observe myself for next one minute and felt manageable ! I remembered a friend's advise not to stay beyond 10 mins and we followed that ! Seeing Dixit monastery on the way and with the downhill and some bumpy roads towards Nubra Valley was another spectacular view. Reminded of Geography classes about valleys on books , this picturesque Nubra Valley will not fail to attract you like a magnet. 

The double hump camels in the sand dunes 
Staying in this place with no electricity for few hours and no tower for the first time felt different and not challenging at all. A walk around the stay , interacting with locals and soon to be retiring army man was unlocking more about the place

Imagine you stay in between the valleys in a cottage and apricot trees outside , nights were you wish you can see the stars but you are unlucky ! At the same time lucky to pinch yourself and say you did this trip !!!

Cultural talk with some Vietnamese tourist around a bonfire and then a beautiful friend from Pune  ended the day :) the night had a stroy to scare me but for some other blog ;)  

Day 4 Valley to Pangong Lake 

The next day was to move from downhill to uphill again ! This time it was the journey to go towards the Pangong Lake. The lake where one third part lies in India and remaining in china ! 
The journey to Pangong Lake didn't have proper connecting roads most of the time and it was just bumpy and grumpy ! 
Spotting murmets was funny :)
To spot holes , see them from a distance , along side the donkeys and then horses and goats all looked very exciting ! 

And as we saw the first glimpse of the the blue water of the lake , and then see the turqoise colour and then see another shade of the lake. We realised taking pictures would do no justice to the enchantress of the lake ! 
Three idiots movie is first thing you are reminded of and I missed my mom , probably one of the last movies I saw with her in the theater and endless times with dad on the TV.
I missed my dad and mom so much that I could discuss , share and travel so much with them remembering some travel moments and the lake gave me some peace to the unhealed sounds of cry inside !!! The wind was embracing me with its chilness and traversing through the melancholic moment to Picking stones and trying to throw them like a small kid brings the childhood joy 😊...
Pictures with this view was also needed for a memory and heading to the cottage !

This time it was sonam bhaiya who would run here and there effortlessly to serve the guests! Getting a place to stay that when you wake up you can see the sunrise in the backdrop of the huge lake !

The night was harsh on me ! I felt for the first time issues with breathing ! I felt what it means to feel lack of oxygen , nose bleeding and every 2 hours I just woke up ! No electricity no tower again and the head torch helped me traverse the darkness ! I think those were the 6 hours in entire trip where I thought about survival in a place like this and may be decided strongly never to stay night at an altitude place like this πŸ˜‚ in future !

To console my self even other travel buddies felt uncomfortable and yet all were progressing better as day progressed. 

Day 5  - Travel from the lake to pass to leh 
The Changla Pass didn't have the excitement like Khardungla because of the last night sleep effect ;) ! The Maggie on this pass was one of the best ones πŸ™‚ of our trip we felt ! Hitting some snow on each other and heading back to leh which everyone was looking forward to . On the way we stopped by at the Ranchi school and a lunch at restaurant which had their own spelling on the menu card giving us hilarious effects ! The shey palace was a stop which we saw from outside ! Shanti Stupa was one of the last stop with the travel buddies ! And every night we had fun with the cards and board games worth mentioning πŸ˜œπŸ˜„ 


Day 6 - Experience with the local at Stok Village 

The Stok Village is another charm, the palace was closed due to renovation , the palace where th king and the queen along with the price lived. Seeing their apricot farm and then moving to 200 year old property was exciting. Lunch in pure ladakhi style was something I will cherish for ever. Experience to be hosted by locals and they service food with care in their own house feels special ;) ! Zoravar palace is least crowded spot and I must say ask the prize and pay for only the ticket which you prefer. If you are fan of light shows go late evening post 6pm !



Travel is complete with postcards sent from leh post office !
Day 7 and Day 8 : the Le hostel 

May be next time when I travel again , I would just barge in here to stay ! It started a year ago and the host is very welcoming and warm ! My 3 days reduced to 2 days due to the flight reschedules , I spent one day staying indoors and interacting with fellow tourists .. Desi and videsi :) ! Leh market is beautiful and local market for dry fruits you get the best ones :) at the best prizes ! I paid 650 per kg for the apricots and 750 perkg for the almonds !! Also there is a cultural museum in the main market which is worth visiting if you like history and antiques !


Back home I carry memories Julley ( greetings in ladakhi langauge) , smile warmth and kindness in the people is something you can feel !I only know I met a lot of Tashi and Sonam bhaiya(s) in the trip :) . friends from different parts of India , from the world, travel stories and a place I would love to go back again as a tourist :) or a volunteer !!! 


Landing in Bangalore with heart craving for the place and at the same time wanting to lay back and relish the Leh times :) and relive again next year !!! Until next time this happens again !!!

Comments

  1. Beautifully written … I could relive all the time spent in Leh
    The words, The people, The Landscape and The Colors
    Heavenly… Julley

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment