6 years and I still miss you Maa !

      13 is considered unlucky number was told by a friend of mine when I was in my 9th grade and yet it was one of those interschool competitions where we finished the Second place competing with  50+ teams. I told her it is not as unlucky as you think, we finished second. 13 years down the time, I did find 13th September 2017 to be unlucky for me, the day I lost my mom. 

    There was a story on this day today where someone mentioned about the loss of a loved one, a friend, in 9/11 incident too and also had lost his father long time ago. So, for him September month is very emotional draining month.

      There was also a talk by an inspirational leader who mentioned about his mom and how she lived with a purpose for her family and kids. 

     I have not opened up much on how much second half of 2017 took a toll on my state of mind, but that was also the year which brought me to a state of finding my inner strengths to cope with adverse situation, valuing the support system more that ever before,  siblings , friends who lent their shoulders and for the first time I saw my dad whom I lost in May last year totally heart-broken back in 2017. 

    To a disease named Bacterial Meningits, a death which can occur within 24 hours, Maa battled it for more than 3 months. On one end there was extreme pain of losing my mom and on the other end we consoled that Maa didn't have to suffer more.

    A month ago  in 2023 Aug, there was a post on linkedin , a giveaway event, where one had to give an answer about 

“What do you think is the best initiative (most inspiring/practical/wild) to prevent plastic pollution?”



The credibility for it with such interesting feedback, got me smiles and all I could think about was Maa and Papa :)







I have spent my days in childhood, where plastic bags when they came home were folded and reused multiple times until it hit a worn out state. And it was in my 8th grade where I chose to avoid whenever possible wherever possible "plastics". It was not easy but while being part of "Siruthuli" project back in 2005, a student volunteer taught me alot on this theme of environment and sustainability.  Today this comment and story gets me the book,  written by Tracey Williams, a beachcomber, campaigner against plastic pollution, and the author of "Adrift". This was announced today on 13th September 2023.

Maa, back then  would listen to my stories with great patience about the doors of houses I knocked in my locality for 2 months spreading the awareness and had encouraged me to pursue with a social cause always. I probably learnt this from my dad too whom I saw socially active and always doing the smallest contributions back to the society. Maa, was brought up in a family where she was not allowed to go to school after 8th grade , was never allowed to read a novel nor stand on a balcony. Yet, she gave me the freedom to do what I always liked. She applied science in the kitchen which schools would never have taught. Imagine the hot water would be done simultaneously when rice was getting cooked on the gas stove, she would place two vessels capturing the heat energy without dissipation to heat a vessel of hot water used for bathing. I learnt REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE from home and probably this in early adoption at home helps me even today.

September 13, 2017 I lost Maa. September 14th, 1962 Maa was born !
Its 6 years, I miss Maa and I will always miss Maa. 
I know she is proud and if she was here she would have celebrated it .
And to what I expressed I owe a lot to my Maa and Papa !!!




This book will be special for me just not for the cause but also brought in a lot of personal memories to me and will always be grateful to them as I am what I am today and a part of them lives in me !


There are morning I still wake up with tears

There are nights I still go on bed with tears

In your memories time to time

I admire those photos not in glime 

that had captured the moments

Today they remind me your lessons of life

Thoughts you taught to me

I am filled with gratitude and pride

A privilege to have you , Maa

I miss you Maa !!!


- Beti who loves you eternally !



Comments